The Holden and Barr families came to the Sandwich area of Essex County, Ontario between 1860, where they appear in the Wayne County, Indiana census and March 4th, 1863, when my second great-grandmother, Rosetta Holden O'Neil was born in Sandwich, her older sister, Viola Holden O'Neil was born in Wayne County, Indiana in 1861. Their father, Thomas, was the second of eleven children and was married to Sarah Elizabeth Stonecipher in 1860, after the census, as he was still living at home when the census was taken in 1860.
Thomas' parents were immigrants, James Holden was born in Bolton, England about 1804 and his wife, Elizabeth Barr, was born in Ayrshire, Scotland about 1815. They were in Indiana by 1837 when their oldest son was born. I don't know if they were married before they immigrated or after they came to the U.S.
- James Holden born in England about 1804.
- Elizabeth Barr born in Ayrshire, Scotland about 1815.
- James Holden married Elizabeth Barr in ? about 1836.
- Thomas Holden was born in Richmond Indiana in 1839.
- James Holden family in Wayne County, Indiana in 1840, 1850 and 1860 census.
- Thomas Holden married Sarah Stonecipher in 1860.
- First child, Viola, born in Wayne County, Indiana in 1861.
- Second child, Rosetta, born in Sandwich, Essex County, Ontario in 1863.
- Two more children, Frank and Albert, born in Sandwich, Essex County, Ontario.
- Rosetta Holden married Wm. James O'Neil in Sandwich, Ontario.
- Charles O'Neil born in 1881.
- Charles O'Neil married Mary Queen, daughter of Robert Queen and Sarah Stevenson
- Orville Neil was born Sept. 30, 1910.
- Orville Neil married Ruby Fairbairn, daughter of Jessie Doan and Robert Fairbairn about 1930.
- Marian Neil was born Nov.30, 1936.(my mother).
- Marian Neil married Earl Hines in 1957.(my father)
Ancestral Notes by Earline Hines Bradt is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.