While watching Faces of America last night I found a new cousin, Meryl Streep. My ears perked as soon as Henry Louis Gates,Jr. mentioned Bucks County, PA. I know that my Doane, Twining and Deane ancestors came from Eastham, MA. to Bucks County before 1700 and therefore was quite interested in seeing if there were any connections in Meryl's tree. When the generations chart came up, I noticed a familiar name, Mary Twining. I knew that there had to be a connection because my Twining ancestors lived in Newtown in Bucks County.
I opened my RM4 program and there was Mary Twining. She was the grandniece of my seventh great-grandparents, Daniel and Mehitabel Twining Doane. Her grandfather was Stephen Twining, Mehitabel's brother, named after his maternal grandfather, Stephen Deane, who came over on the Fortune in November, 1621 to Plymouth Colony.
When Meryl Streep mentioned that she was told that some of her ancestors were hanged in PA. for being horse thieves, it is quite possible that she was speaking of cousins Levi and Abraham Doane, two members of the notorious Doan Gang, hanged September of 1788. I would have loved to hear more about this branch of the family.
Creative Commons License
Ancestral Notes by Earline Hines Bradt is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.
Welcome to my family history blog. Finding more about my family's history is very rewarding as well as being interesting and educational.
I created this blog to share my thoughts, experiences, tips and resources in my search for my ancestors' history and maybe, help you in your research as well. I am particularly interested in the history of Upper Canada and the Loyalist period in history.
My Carnival Blogs
- Black Sheep Canadian Ancestors - The Quaker Loyalist Turncoats
- Cabinet of Curiosities #15 - What Did I Dig Up?
- Carnival of Irish Heritage and Culture # 12 - Letter From Ireland
- COG # 68 - A Tribute to Women - Sarah Haines, UEL
- COG # 69 - What If...The British Won the Revolutionary War?
- COG #71-Local History - The Tomato Capital of Canada - Leamington, Ontario
- COG #73 - The Good Earth - Vege-Land
- COG #75- Justice and Independence - The Loyalists Viewpoint
- COG #76 - My Favouriite Summer Vacation
- COG #77 - Disasters - God's Wrath
- COG #81 - A Short But Full Life
- Smile for the Camera #11 - Brothers and Sisters
- Smile for the Camera #12 - Noble Life - Rev. T. Neil Libby
- Smile For The Camera #15 - They Worked Hard For The Family
- Smile for the Camera - All Creatures Great and Small
My Daily Blog Theme Posts & SNGF with Randy
- Follow Friday - Cape Cod Gravestones
- Follow Friday - Destination: Austin Family
- Follow Friday - Tribal Pages
- Follow Friday - Viviti For Versatile Blogging
- Madness Monday - 10 Questions
- Madness Monday - I'm Realy Connnected To My Parents
- Madness Monday - Nettie Kennedy
- Saturday Night Fun - My Grandmother's Ancestors
- Saturday Night Fun - Poetry
- Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Ahnentafel Roulette
- Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - All My Grgrgrandparents
- Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Family Increases
- Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - My All-Time Favourite Song
- Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Surname Distribution
- Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - The Nicest Things
- Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Tricks And Treats
- Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - What Luck!
- Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Where were they in 1909?
- Surname Saturday - Small, Smalle, Smalley
- Tombstone Tuesday - Col. John Butler Family Buryng Grounds
- Tombstone Tuesday - Doan's Ridge Cemetery
- Tombstone Tuesday - My German Ancestry
- Tombstone Tuesday - Tecumseh
- Tombstone Tuesday - The Family Plot
- Tombstone Tuesday,Happy Birthday Great-grampa John Haines
- Wordless Wednesday - Alexander Taylor
- Wordless Wednesday - Elizabeth Simcoe
- Wordless Wednesday - Global Warming???
- Wordless Wednesday - Happy Anniversary!
- Wordless Wednesday - Jane Fairbairn Kendrick
- Wordless Wednesday - My Gardens
- Wordless Wednesday - Niagara region, Ontario, Canada
- Wordless Wednesday - On The Island
- Wordless Wednesday - The George Fairbairn Family
- Wordless Wednesday - The Taylors of Essex County
- Wordless Wednesday - Touring the Settler's Village, Bobcaygeon, Ontario