Welcome to my family history blog. Finding more about my family's history is very rewarding as well as being interesting and educational.
I created this blog to share my thoughts, experiences, tips and resources in my search for my ancestors' history and maybe, help you in your research as well. I am particularly interested in the history of Upper Canada and the Loyalist period in history.
Monday, August 10, 2009
Our First Fairbairn Family Reunion
Well, the rain kept a lot away from the reunion on Saturday, but, after the rain quit about suppertime, a few more families came out for the evening. The kids enjoyed themselves getting their faces painted and trick-or-treating around the campground for a couple of hours.
There was a dance later in the evening for the older kids. The adults had a chance to do some catching up while they were busy. I met a few cousins who braved the weather and came out, and we discussed a lot of family history.
On Sunday the rain had quit, but the temps. were in the 90's, and humid. There were the mandatory water balloon fights, with our table being designated the "Safe" table.
One cousin, Lynn Davison, came out for a couple of hours and shared lots of information with us. His aunt was the author of The Fairbairn Family - 200 Years in America, and he's been working on the continuation of his aunt's work for years. I'm glad he was able to attend, and I hope he had a happy birthday yesterday.
Allen Fairbairn, was able to come out for a few hours on Saturday and Sunday. He just lives a few miles from the campground. Allen was the oldest cousin attending, he's 77. He had hoped to see more older relatives, but he had a few stories to tell.
The kids had fun staying cool on Sunday, going swimming, riding bikes and playing games. There were a lot of raffles for the kids too, they all went home with a few prizes.
We had a great weekend and the kids had a memorable time no matter what the weather. There were no major catastrophies, no injuries, we have a DNA project volunteer and everyone that attended were glad they came and are looking forward to the next one, so, I would say that our first reunion was a success!
My Carnival Blogs
- Black Sheep Canadian Ancestors - The Quaker Loyalist Turncoats
- Cabinet of Curiosities #15 - What Did I Dig Up?
- Carnival of Irish Heritage and Culture # 12 - Letter From Ireland
- COG # 68 - A Tribute to Women - Sarah Haines, UEL
- COG # 69 - What If...The British Won the Revolutionary War?
- COG #71-Local History - The Tomato Capital of Canada - Leamington, Ontario
- COG #73 - The Good Earth - Vege-Land
- COG #75- Justice and Independence - The Loyalists Viewpoint
- COG #76 - My Favouriite Summer Vacation
- COG #77 - Disasters - God's Wrath
- COG #81 - A Short But Full Life
- Smile for the Camera #11 - Brothers and Sisters
- Smile for the Camera #12 - Noble Life - Rev. T. Neil Libby
- Smile For The Camera #15 - They Worked Hard For The Family
- Smile for the Camera - All Creatures Great and Small
My Daily Blog Theme Posts & SNGF with Randy
- Follow Friday - Cape Cod Gravestones
- Follow Friday - Destination: Austin Family
- Follow Friday - Tribal Pages
- Follow Friday - Viviti For Versatile Blogging
- Madness Monday - 10 Questions
- Madness Monday - I'm Realy Connnected To My Parents
- Madness Monday - Nettie Kennedy
- Saturday Night Fun - My Grandmother's Ancestors
- Saturday Night Fun - Poetry
- Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Ahnentafel Roulette
- Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - All My Grgrgrandparents
- Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Family Increases
- Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - My All-Time Favourite Song
- Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Surname Distribution
- Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - The Nicest Things
- Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Tricks And Treats
- Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - What Luck!
- Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Where were they in 1909?
- Surname Saturday - Small, Smalle, Smalley
- Tombstone Tuesday - Col. John Butler Family Buryng Grounds
- Tombstone Tuesday - Doan's Ridge Cemetery
- Tombstone Tuesday - My German Ancestry
- Tombstone Tuesday - Tecumseh
- Tombstone Tuesday - The Family Plot
- Tombstone Tuesday,Happy Birthday Great-grampa John Haines
- Wordless Wednesday - Alexander Taylor
- Wordless Wednesday - Elizabeth Simcoe
- Wordless Wednesday - Global Warming???
- Wordless Wednesday - Happy Anniversary!
- Wordless Wednesday - Jane Fairbairn Kendrick
- Wordless Wednesday - My Gardens
- Wordless Wednesday - Niagara region, Ontario, Canada
- Wordless Wednesday - On The Island
- Wordless Wednesday - The George Fairbairn Family
- Wordless Wednesday - The Taylors of Essex County
- Wordless Wednesday - Touring the Settler's Village, Bobcaygeon, Ontario