Welcome to my family history blog. Finding more about my family's history is very rewarding as well as being interesting and educational.
I created this blog to share my thoughts, experiences, tips and resources in my search for my ancestors' history and maybe, help you in your research as well. I am particularly interested in the history of Upper Canada and the Loyalist period in history.
Sunday, February 8, 2009
Advantages of Joining Genealogy Groups
One thing we are all interested in is free genealogy resources. What better resource than pooling say, one hundred people from different areas of the world, different skills, backgrounds, access to different resources, all with one common goal, to discover as much as they can about your ancestors? Where else will you find out where they came from, were they settled, their reason for coming, when they were born, married, died, often with photographs and images of documents for sources at no cost? By becoming a member of a Genealogy group. You get this and much more. You heard the cliche that "two heads are better than one", well, in researching your family history, the more the merrier.
Descendant Chronicles is one of the busiest groups on the net. With multiple postings daily, it is a great all around genealogy group.It has multiple message forums from regional , surname , history, tips and helps, to more specialized boards such as American Indians, Quakers, Wars, Obit & Wills, Brick Walls, Look-ups. We are serious about our genealogy research, but we like to take a break, chat, talk about current events, weather and our other interests too. We like to share ghost stories and family legends.
Descendant Chronicles has been around for years as Ancestor Chronicles - Our Kin and Their Times, an MSN Group, but, with the closing of MSN Groups this month, we moved over to Yuku in November and lost a few members that weren't active in the fall. We have acquired a few new members, but we're looking to increase our genie pool, so, if you're looking for a friendly, helpful genealogy group, stop by and check us out.
Seeking Our Twigs is another group I belong to, started by a fellow member and a a longtime manager of Ancestor Chronicles in December, It is a new group, but the membership is growing every week.It is a Yahoo group that covers genealogy in general, as well,
My Carnival Blogs
- Black Sheep Canadian Ancestors - The Quaker Loyalist Turncoats
- Cabinet of Curiosities #15 - What Did I Dig Up?
- Carnival of Irish Heritage and Culture # 12 - Letter From Ireland
- COG # 68 - A Tribute to Women - Sarah Haines, UEL
- COG # 69 - What If...The British Won the Revolutionary War?
- COG #71-Local History - The Tomato Capital of Canada - Leamington, Ontario
- COG #73 - The Good Earth - Vege-Land
- COG #75- Justice and Independence - The Loyalists Viewpoint
- COG #76 - My Favouriite Summer Vacation
- COG #77 - Disasters - God's Wrath
- COG #81 - A Short But Full Life
- Smile for the Camera #11 - Brothers and Sisters
- Smile for the Camera #12 - Noble Life - Rev. T. Neil Libby
- Smile For The Camera #15 - They Worked Hard For The Family
- Smile for the Camera - All Creatures Great and Small
My Daily Blog Theme Posts & SNGF with Randy
- Follow Friday - Cape Cod Gravestones
- Follow Friday - Destination: Austin Family
- Follow Friday - Tribal Pages
- Follow Friday - Viviti For Versatile Blogging
- Madness Monday - 10 Questions
- Madness Monday - I'm Realy Connnected To My Parents
- Madness Monday - Nettie Kennedy
- Saturday Night Fun - My Grandmother's Ancestors
- Saturday Night Fun - Poetry
- Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Ahnentafel Roulette
- Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - All My Grgrgrandparents
- Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Family Increases
- Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - My All-Time Favourite Song
- Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Surname Distribution
- Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - The Nicest Things
- Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Tricks And Treats
- Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - What Luck!
- Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Where were they in 1909?
- Surname Saturday - Small, Smalle, Smalley
- Tombstone Tuesday - Col. John Butler Family Buryng Grounds
- Tombstone Tuesday - Doan's Ridge Cemetery
- Tombstone Tuesday - My German Ancestry
- Tombstone Tuesday - Tecumseh
- Tombstone Tuesday - The Family Plot
- Tombstone Tuesday,Happy Birthday Great-grampa John Haines
- Wordless Wednesday - Alexander Taylor
- Wordless Wednesday - Elizabeth Simcoe
- Wordless Wednesday - Global Warming???
- Wordless Wednesday - Happy Anniversary!
- Wordless Wednesday - Jane Fairbairn Kendrick
- Wordless Wednesday - My Gardens
- Wordless Wednesday - Niagara region, Ontario, Canada
- Wordless Wednesday - On The Island
- Wordless Wednesday - The George Fairbairn Family
- Wordless Wednesday - The Taylors of Essex County
- Wordless Wednesday - Touring the Settler's Village, Bobcaygeon, Ontario